Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Oppenheimer Apprehensions [V. 2]

Oppenheimer apprehensions as I realize
that I too, write in a notebook made of mighty pines

I run water over my body every morning from depleting oceans
And drive a car that poisons Nature’s lungs, ensuring a quicker death

I realize that I have never marched on any campus
On any street, or on the steps of any capital
I have never held a peace sign or a woman’s right to choose sign
But I watch political news on the television
And am enraged by inaction

I realize that I read books with higher, noble meanings
But never remember how they moved me a week later
And I never write any myself

I realize that I plan to go to college and find a job where
I plan to gaze at stars so I may miss all the
Earthly problems around me

Oppenheimer apprehensions as I realize
That I too, am like Vishnu
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

No comments: